Inverkip is located on the west coast of Scotland on the fringe of the Ardgowan Estate and north of the traditional resort town of Largs.
The development site, on a south-facing inlet on the Firth of Clyde, is adjacent to the existing marina with fine views westward to the Isle of Bute. The brief was to expand the existing marina and provide a new waterside neighbourhood.
– Development of Kip Village in parallel with a marina expansion to accommodate 620 protected pontoon berths.
– 196 dwellings comprising quayside townhouses, detached properties and dockside apartments arranged around a variety of shared public and semi-private spaces; from formal hard landscaped squares to intimate courtyard spaces.
– New facilities such as a chandlery, shops, showers and changing facilities.
– Alignment of buildings to frame views of the surrounding seascape and landscape and to maximise vistas out over the marina to the Firth of Clyde and Ailsa Craig island.
– Use of simple, elegant and robust landscaping and materials appropriate to the hostile climate conditions to evoke the atmosphere of a traditional fishing village.
What House? Awards 2010 Best Development – Gold
Scottish Home Awards 2009 Waterside Development of the Year – Finalist
Homes for Scotland Design Awards 2006 Greenfield/Edge of Settlement Commendation