Developing BoKlok’s pioneering homes to create new communities in the UK.
BoKlok is a home ownership concept from Sweden, owned by Skanska and IKEA that produces sustainable, quality, low cost, space-saving, functional housing at a price that enables as many people as possible to afford a comfortable home. The first BoKlok homes were completed in 1997 and now almost 12,000 homes have been delivered throughout Sweden, Finland and Norway.
Achieved through modern methods of construction (MMC) which uses timber-frame modular technology to produce schemes of up to four storeys, the buildings comprise separate modules, all of which are fabricated off-site in a factory, and then transported to the building site for assembly. About 80% of the house is built off-site while the actual on-site construction takes up to four weeks. The result is cost-effectiveness and high-quality control.
In deciding to bring the concept to the UK, BoKlok initially appointed JTP to design and develop the modular apartment blocks for the UK market, through to RIBA Stage 4 of Technical Design. JTP produced a Design Guide which has been developed to comply with UK performance requirements and provides an overview of the BoKlok building system and product range as applicable to the UK market.
The BoKlok UK product offering is for standard apartments clustered around a standard central core and accessed from a double loaded internal corridor. Buildings are envisaged to be either three to four storeys and can be assembled in different configurations to best suit the requirements of a particular location.
The BoKlok system enshrines a design for manufacture philosophy, which aims to maximise the extent of standardisation, achieve high quality levels, control costs and ensure speed and efficiency of production.
BoKlok’s focus in the UK is developing sites between 40 and 200 homes to create vibrant and sustainable communities. JTP, together with Turley, has helped BoKlok submit a full planning application for 173 new homes on land at Airport Road, Bristol. This new neighbourhood has planning consent and will provide homes for a wide range of residents.
We are extremely pleased to be working with JTP and the wider team to move forward our first UK project. The team has provided critical knowledge and expertise, to not only helping us understand how our concept and product will work in the local market, but also specifically with Airport Road in Bristol.
Dylan May, Land and Planning Director, BoKlok
– A mix of 77 houses and 96 apartments ranging from 1-3 bedrooms.
– 121 open market sale homes, 12 shared ownership homes, 40 social rented homes..
– A newly regenerated Brislington Brook (a tributary of the Bristol Avon), forms the heart of the neighbourhood, allowing the wider community to enjoy the natural landscape setting whilst also increasing the biodiversity of the brook and its surroundings. It will provide a place for people to sit and relax, with paths for walking the dog and natural play in locations along the brook.
– A new bridge over the brook is provided to allow access to the new homes north of the brook.
– Retained woodland and trees along the brook will be enhanced with additional planting to add to the landscape setting.
– All development fronts onto the adjacent public streets and footpaths to ensure a high degree of overlooking to create a secure and safe living environment.
– Additional play and amenity areas incorporated in other parts of the development providing play, seating with secured boundaries.
– Car and cycle parking, including car club and electric vehicle charging points.
In addition to the 30% of homes being allocated for affordable housing, the BoKlok model ensures that the open market sale homes will be sold at a price that people on lower incomes, such as key workers, will be able to afford.